Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Boost Your Metabolism - WH article

While Jtrigg's post may find that exercise is NOT the soul component responsible for revving up the METAB; Women's Health has some easy lifestyle changes that can slightly boost your metabolism over a day. Making these several small changes daily could significantly increase your weightloss over a long period of time. AND HEY! It's easy! And who doesn't like easy, plus since you are probably working hard on the exercise anyway, why not get the most out of your diet.

THE TIPS:

1. In the AM : start the day off with a hardy meal high in protein and complex carbs that will keep you full and your blood sugar levels constant. That way you won't be starving and in need of a snack by the time you get to work. Drink coffee! Caffine stokes your Central Nervous System (explaining why you may get shaky when you have had too much; exam time - studying? anyone ? anyone?) which results in increased heart rate and breathing; two functions that fire your metabolism. Drink your H2O cold; apparently it takes MORE energy to raise the temperature of cold water to your core temperature than room temperature water.

2. At Work: Everyone knows work can suck when it's so beautiful out. Especially if you are stuck sitting down practically burning nothing all day. Packing a lunch high in protein will keep you full and keep your lean muscle mass up. It also will not spike your Blood sugar levels, a constant problem that high carb/ high in sugar foods pose. Brew green tea. EW honestly it tastes like dirt, but it has a metabolism boosting component in it that legit revs you up. So looks like I'm going to have to start sipping the stuff. yuck. Go DAIRY! (who doesnt love this stuff? - oh ya lactose ppl. sorry !) apparently calcium increases fat metabolism as it increases the rate of fat as waste. ahhhh yeaaaa.

3. Grocery Shopping: Things to buy: chili peppers! there is lots of other stuff in the article but I thought this was a cool one. (put in stir fries) the heat from the peppers stimulates a temporary spike in metabolism of ~ 23%. cool!

4. Workout: INTERVALS! oh my gosh; that is all I can say. Because recently I am not going to lie I have been hating hard core on my eating habits, maybe it's fatigue, maybe stress, maybe a combo. Nevertheless - let's just say the svelte 6 pack i was working towards had been put on hold. That is until my fab trainer suggested Intervals. I pouted at the idea, but they are actually really awesome! I did hills just yesterday with a friend and tredmill sprints today. Combining about 30 min of intervals ( with active rest) into a workout and you will feel the results. Jello - Legs. ( more to come on interval training... I'll have to let you know how things pan out)

and i know everyone hates lifting weights, it is actually THE WORST thing ever almost. I nearly cry everytime Ryan tells me to do DeadLifts. Nevertheless do the workout right! don't rush through them. Counting to 3 and controlling your body will help your technique and increase the amount of "damage" that your body has to repair (= metabolism boost)

5. When you get home: This is THE HARDEST part of the day for me. Usually because I am exhausted. (so pay attention!) Eat FISH! (yes, i know you know who you are, try it at least) apparently their omega 3 fatty acids SQUASH, yep, hunger.

Skip the drinks when possible; too much alcohol slows the fat break down process. why? I am assuming because you are kicking your liver into over time to break alcohol down instead of fat.

Get enough sleep. I cannot emphasize this enough. HOLY COW not only do I turn into the grinch when I haven't had enough sleep but I turn into a carb craving monster. BAD IDEA. So save yourself the extra workouts to burn those treats you didnt really need, but in your state of exhaustion DEFINATELY thought you needed.


here is the legit article if you want the sources and the numbers for the facts yo!
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/boost-your-metabolism?page=3

Anyway sorry for not posting and then posting this big post. I have been MIA and regrettfully struggling with the healthiness. Hence not feeling right about giving advice. BUT got my head back on so yay. Garburator get ready to get blown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment